Thursday 27 May 2010

Depot Businesses

The station and yard drawing that I have from the chief engineer's department is (I believe wrongly) dated 1950s in the book. Looking at the details of it and the surrounding properties it is difficult to date and I wonder if it is several periods collapsed - I've made some enquiries and hope to find out soon. It certainly isn't pre-1887 (OS first edition).

The drawing has marked a number of trades/companies and I've also realised that the goods shed has two 50cwt cranes indicated in the area of the cross-beams. Marked are: C H Crees and Sons builders merchants; Bassett & Sons; Shell Mex depot; Pratts depot; G H Dykes coal office; Davenport & Co. There are also indicated various Oil tanks, timber stores and other tanks and a lime shed next to the goods shed. Basset & son have a compound marked that I think is in today's wooded area.

Despite all these businesses the yard looks fairly empty but I'm assuming it would have been stacked with timber, coal and such like and also needed room for loading/unloading.

No comments:

Post a Comment